Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Lunch Time in Beverly Hills: Based On a True Story


This blog entry is a public reply to Jasleen's highly fictionalized interpretation of our lunchtime walks on the streets of Beverly Hills, which can be found here.


Working in Beverly Hills SUCKS for my ego. During my interview, I must admit, I was impressed with Beverly Hills as a newbie Angeleno and virtual BH virgin..."HEY the Zip Code is 90210! Like the show!! Cool!" "DAMN! A BENTLEY!". The novelty quickly wore off.

More recently, my lunch breaks have become a sad, sad reminder about how I am not rich or married to a rich guy, am not a size zero, cannot afford to get my hair cut by Terence at Christophe Salon on a regular basis, do not have the financial capacity to afford a $1000 plus outfit and/or a Gucci bag (even if they are hideous) AND I drive a 1992 Honda with a horrible paint and no radio. Plus, I totally saw a douchebag pedestrian get hit by a Toyota Prius in the street because he was trying to hit on an ugly blonde girl in a Porsche which was traumatizing and not cool at all.

The fact that, by Beverly Hills standards, I am poor, fat and ugly is not what makes Armani, Kitson, and the vast majority of Rodeo Drive undesirable for me. The expressed unimpressed disinterest Jasleen speaks of in her blog (just for the record) : completely geunine. I don't have to pretend, that shit is fucking uuuugly! Betsey Johnson and Beverly Feldman are still sort of expensive, put anything by those ladies in front of me and I will follow orders like a Pavlovian dog. Not good enough for Beverly Hills elitists though. No, the majority of the stores on Rodeo Drive and I am convinced most rich people have horrible taste.

So, I don't need you to think I am cute, skinny or good enough, Beverly Hills. I am adorable in the suburbs and I think your outfit sucks.


PS - I don't just stand in the store and giggle at Jasleen being obnoxious. Okay. Maybe I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment